Thursday, June 3, 2010

Single-handedly Remedying Summer Listlessness


The single life offers many simple pleasures--not the least of these being a gratuitous amount of time with which to pursue selfish and often meaningless activities. Some singletons are beckoned by the call of war-mongering video games each day after work. For others, the humiliating and unconscionable act of dressing cats in “adorable outfits” will fill every unused hour until somebody finally (and inexplicably) “puts a ring on it”. With my free time, I MAKE LISTS.

No, not because I love crossing off meticulously crafted “To-Do” items ; although, I won’t deny that there is a certain arousal which accompanies the merciless and inky slashing of a formerly onerous task. But practical lists have a time-sensitive usefulness and I much prefer to accompany my bullets with a more impractical and useless yet nostalgic set of concepts.
A Few of My Favorite Kerri-Authored lists.
Things to do Before I die (refusing to call this a “bucket list” because:
a. I came up with it when I was 5, long before Mr. Freeman started taking all the credit, AND
b. I somehow find it untoward to include a reference to the gruesome act of death by hanging, into my everyday vernacular)
My Friends (this is exactly what you think it is—a throwback to an oft maligned grade-school practice of mine. You decide if it is charming or tragic.) Incidentally, blog commenters have been doing very well on this list as of late.
My Favorite Words (illustrious, disillusioned, penultimate, sophomoric, loquacious, rotund, disenchanted, non-sensical, amorous, malcontent, misanthrope august and angst to name a few…tell me if these show up with too much regularity in these musings---ooh, muse, that is a nice one too!)
Pet Peeves ( Perhaps the most gratifying of all lists, because there is nothing like formally documenting for oneself these insidious and recurring provocateurs of unmerited rage.)

And now my most recent and new favorite list, for your consideration, is --Schmet Schmeeves! My friend John Malkovich recently introduced me to this concept as a sort of answer to the Pet Peeve list. Schmet Schmeeves are those random and inexplicable personal delights that we all experience each day. Below, you will see my list in its infancy. Let me know what would be at the top of your S.S. list!

My Schmet Schmeeves
• When people use crisp and prolonged “s” sounds in their speech
• Stepping on Acorns
• Clenched Jaws
• The experience of a muted world afforded by underwater swimming
• Skipping
• Watching toddlers’ first encounters with infants (smaller than me?)
• Walls made of mirrors
• The sound of one’s own name spoken by a loved one
• Frostys
• Being caught in the rain
• The taste of tears
• Hugging someone and hearing their heart beating

Word of Warning: There are those in my community, Brad Pitt included, that take issue with this name “Schmet Schmeeve” because of the use of “Sh” tacked on to the words’ front ends—a language tool which is traditionally used to mock or somehow slight the word to which it is attached. I have no such problem at this time and find it linguistically acceptable to use the “sh” function when referring to these little joys. However, if you are of the Pitt Ilk feel free to rename your list in a way which is suitable to you. Now hurry up and start basking in the acknowledgement of all of your own simple pleasures!

4 comments:

Seth Hart said...

First comment! I'm thrilled to know that claiming a celebrity moniker actually works. Now as first commenter, let me do all the plagiarizing so no one else can:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

Paul said...

Kerri, whenever I read your blog, it's like I'm sucked in and I can't get out until I finish. And I don't like to read! I love reading your writing.

My very brief S.S. list:
- The feeling of freshly washed sheets
- Sneezing (it feels so good!)
- Chocolate and coffee together
- The feeling of flour on my hands

Alana said...

S.S. hopes and dreams:
Daily Kerri postings! I noticed you wrote this one on a Thursday... does that mean we can look forward to more than one a week??

Bethany said...

Okay I've been trying to think of a good SS list all weekend... so far I've got
1. twinkle lights used at non-Christmas times and events
2. finding an unexpected good book (currently the Lightening Theif!)
3. a gray and rainy day (just every once in a while)

I did realize this weekend though that on my pet peeve list is fake greenery, which when combined with twinkle lights completely cancels out how much I love them, haha.

Post a Comment